Irreligion is defined as the absence of religion and/or an indifference towards religion.
Sometimes it may also be defined more narrowly as hostility towards religion. When characterized as hostility to religion, it includes antitheism, anticlericalism and antireligion. When characterized as indifference to religion, it includes apatheism. When characterized as the rejection of religious belief, it includes atheism and secular humanism. When characterized as the absence of religious belief, it may include some people who would be included under agnosticism, ignosticism, nontheism, religious skepticism, freethought, non-believer. Irreligion may even include forms of theism depending on the religious context it is defined against, as in 18th century Europe where the epitome of irreligion was Deism.
Sixteen percent of the world population (1.1 billion people) are considered non-religious. Some evidence suggests that the fastest growing religious status in the United States is "no religion".
|Irreligion in the World|
|Country||Percentage of populations
who are non-religious
(from 87.3% who answered the optional question)
(23.9% of women, 30.6% of men)
(from 88.8% who answered the optional question)
(from 92.7% who answered the optional question)
edit.5D_See_also"> See also
- Importance of religion by country
- Irreligion by country
- Nontheistic religions
- Spiritual But Not Religious
- ^ Definition of Irreligion
- ^ Campbell, Colin. 1971. Towards a Sociology of Irreligion. London:McMillan p. 31.
- ^ [http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html Major Religions of the World Ranked by Number of Adherents]
- ^ American Nones: The Profile of the No Religion Population A Report Based on the American Religious Identification Survey 2008
- ^ Based on the data of the Dentsu Communication Institute and the data of Zuckerman. Largest values taken.
- ^ The Religiosity Index is a measure of the importance of religion for respondents and their self-reported attendance of religious services. For religions in which attendance at services is limited, care must be used in interpreting the data. (Gallup WorldView)
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao Dentsu Communication Institute Inc., Research Centre for Japan (2006)(Japanese)
- ^ Gallup poll
- ^ "Albania". State.gov. 2006-09-15. http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2006/71364.htm. Retrieved 2011-02-04. US Department of State - International religious freedom report 2006
- ^ L'Albanie en 2005
- ^ "Adherents.com". Adherents.com. http://www.adherents.com/Na/Na_472.html. Retrieved 2011-02-04. Some publications
- ^ "Adherents.com". Adherents.com. http://www.adherents.com/Na/Na_473.html. Retrieved 2011-02-04. Some publications
- ^ a b Zuckerman, Phil. "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns", Part of The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, Michael Martin, modified by the University of Cambridge Pres: Cambridge, BK (2005)
- ^ Sociaal en Cultureel Planbureau[dead link]
- ^ Statistics New Zealand (2006 census)[dead link]
- ^ "fowid - Forschungsgruppe Weltanschauungen in Deutschland: Home". Fowid.de. http://www.fowid.de/. Retrieved 2011-09-12. German Worldview Research Group (2010)
- ^ "Insee". Insee.fr. http://www.insee.fr/fr/ffc/chifcle_fiche.asp?ref_id=NATCCF05501&tab_id=451. Retrieved 2011-02-04. INSEE (2004 survey)
- ^ "2914.0.55.002 - 2006 Census of Population and Housing: Media Releases and Fact Sheets, 2006". Abs.gov.au. 2007-06-27. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/7d12b0f6763c78caca257061001cc588/6ef598989db79931ca257306000d52b4!OpenDocument. Retrieved 2011-02-04. Australian Statistics Bureau (2006 census)
- ^ [dead link] Socialogical Research Centre (2005)
- ^ UK National Statistics Bureau (2001 census)
- ^ "96F0030XIE2001015 - Religions in Canada". 2.statcan.ca. http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/rel/contents.cfm. Retrieved 2011-02-04. Canada 2001 census
- ^ US Religious Landscape Survey
- ^ "Table Of Statistics On Religion In The Americas". Prolades.com. http://www.prolades.com/amertbl06.htm. Retrieved 2011-02-04. Gallup-Argentina survey, April 2001
- ^ [dead link] Güney Afrika 2001 census
- ^ "Microsoft Word - PDR 2006.doc" (PDF). http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Final%20Principal%20Demographic%20Results%202006.pdf. Retrieved 2011-02-04. Central Statistics Bureau of Ireland 2006 census